If you are pregnant you are entitled to the following maternity benefits:
- 12 months maternity leave,
- Up to 39 weeks of paid maternity leave supported by statutory maternity pay.
- In addition to statutory maternity pay the University offers an enhanced maternity pay provision for up to 16 weeks.
- Reasonable paid time off for ante-natal care.
- Continued entitlement to contractual annual leave and public holidays throughout paid and unpaid Maternity Leave. Leave accrued during maternity leave is normally taken at the end of the maternity leave period before returning to work.
- During the paid period of Maternity Leave if you are a member of the USS or SBS pension scheme you will be fully covered for pension benefits, based on the pensionable salary you would have been paid if you were not on Maternity Leave, so long as you continue to make contributions based on the maternity pay you receive.
- To return from maternity leave to the same job on the same terms and conditions of service unless exceptional circumstances prevent this.
- 10 ‘Keeping in Touch Days’ to allow you to attendance conferences, meetings or generally to keep in touch with what is happening in the workplace.
This Maternity Leave toolkit has a step by step process to follow for staff with lots of information for before, during and after maternity leave, including a maternity pay calculator, info about tax credits, childcare vouchers and workload planning template.
For a pdf document outlining the details of the university’s policies regarding maternity leave, please follow this link: